Saturday, September 8, 2012

Spinning Voices - Dichotomy

Dichotomy cover art
http://spinningvoices.bandcamp.com/album/dichotomy

Ah yes, nothing's better than a little 8-bit in the early afternoon. After searching diligently around Bandcamp (10 or 20 minutes), I found this little piece of upbeat, fun, gameboy gold. With such lovely titles as "Three Politicians In Search of Burgers" and "Irregula", I look forward to reviewing Dichotomy by Spinning Voices, and I think you should enjoy listening to it.

Starting at the top with the previously mentioned "Three Politicians In Search of Burgers", this song is just pure "hey mom, I'm going to go chill out in the tree-house for about an hour and totally destroy some pixel-peeps" goodness. It's really bouncy, uptempo, bright, and just all around fun. It's hard for me to choose what part of the song I like best, I think it'd  have to be the splashy noise that is the percussion, and the transformer noise that is probably the best part of using LSDJ. "Lakebirds" comes next, and I'm absolutely in love. To be honest I have no idea in particular what exactly it is that makes me like this song so much, but it's definitely one of my favorites. There's a certain brightness to the song that makes me feel like I'm going on a road trip, occasionally stopping along  the line to just adventure. This track is somewhere between excited and relaxed, like light rain that you can still go out an play in without worrying too much about getting mud in the house, or something to that extent.

"It's That Brat" is just absolutely one of the most fun songs I've listened to in some time. Between pokemon samples and a really lo-fi glitch pattern, it's just really bright and bouncy, playful almost. It also has a bit of gloomy rain-y day feel to it, but it manages to bring about another sense of fun. "AA!ABBA!AA!" follows suit, and brings with it a more energetic track. This chipper bitty "gotta go fast" feel would probably go best with a Super Mario Sunshine gameplay. "Irregula" steps in, making use of that transformer percussion, and wavy triangle bit pieces. It's really repetitive, really ambient, it had a bit of a dubstep feel to it, and it pulled it off really well. I definitely liked that track.

If you like 8-bit you'll more than likely love this album, it has a lot of energy to it and a really well balanced sound. I found it really easy to just have the album play while I played most games, so there's a plus. In general, I really like the album, and I hope you guys will too! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment