Saturday, August 4, 2012

mewithoutYou, Buried Beds, Look Mexico @ The Red 7 in Austin, Texas


http://mewithoutyou.com/
Look Mexico Crucial Collection Album Cover
http://www.lookmexico.net/

http://buriedbeds.com/

Well, now that that's taken care of, these bands are not ranked in importance by the size of their album artwork. Is that a sassy comment? Yes, but just as well it's completely accurate as all three of these bands are absolutely amazing. I've never reviewed a show in my life, and it wasn't free to get in and none of these artists offer free music, but to be honest I don't necessarily care. This is my site, I'll run it my way, cause that's kind of what I do.

Let's start with Look Mexico, today was the first time I've been able to see them live and I've been wanting to for at least two years now, so this definitely was a joyous occasion for me. The show was great, there seemed to be a couple of issues with the amps on the left side of the stage, but that was not a deterrent. The energy from the band was wonderful, and lively. Not a single song was played with less than 100 percent. At one point Matt Agrella actually came off the stage and say down in a circle with the crowd, while Ryan Slate and Ryan Smith sat down on stage. As I said the entirety of their show was full of fun, dancey, excited energy. I'm more than super-duper excited for the new album, and hopefully to see them in the future.

Buried Beds played next. As they were setting up the stage my interest was suddenly peaked with visions of a mandolin, violin, three keyboards, two guitars, a bass, about nine percussive instruments, and a vocoder. With only five people on stage, I was more than excited to see where this went. Needless to say it went awesomely, despite the Philly based folkish band having to compete slightly with the band next door that I've assumed to be none other than "Fleshlights" or something to that effect. The poppy folkey somewhat spacey music of Buried Beds was just... Golden. They went through phases, sounding similar to The Bird and The Bee. Obviously that was just freaking awesome. For a while I was pretty sure it couldn't get any better than that, little did I know just how wrong I was. The final song of the night, starting of very mellow and calm, at the end of it all turned out to be funky folk rock at it's best. It honestly may have been my favorite song of the night, and I wish I could remember the name of it. All in all, Buried Beds were great. They were playful, energetic, talented musicians, and I look forward to my next chance to see them.

Finally we get to mewithoutYou, the show had some amazing energy, and spinning. There was so much spinning I don't really know how to describe it as anything other than Aaron Weiss doing an acrobatic damn pirouette off of the handle. It was pretty fantastic. The last album from them I had listened to was "It's All Crazy! It's All False! It's All a Dream! It's Alright!" which is filled more with folky harmonies and so on. The show tonight was a drastic step in the backwards, though a really nice one, direction into their older style. I've never listened to a show that made me more pumped, I'm so glad that their next album is going back to their original style. Alongside some of their older songs, they played a few off of "It's All Crazy..." and I was not in any way shape or form upset. It was fun, it was just as energetic as the songs before it, and it was just as pretty as the rest of the night. I unfortunately didn't get to stay through all of mewithoutYou's performance, but I can rest easy telling myself that they played just as beautifully as the rest of their show.

This is definitely my favorite of shows that I've been to, I managed to meet Elizah of Buried Beds, as well as Matt Agrella and Ryan Smith of Look Mexico. All of them were just absolute sweet hearts, and I'm truly glad to have met them. More than that, however, I'm glad that I just went to this show, and managed to see, in order of appearance, a band I've waited years to see, a band that I managed to just absolutely fall in love with, and a band that has shown me one of the most energized nights of my life. If anyone ever gets a chance to see any of these bands, I say jump on it. Jump. Right. On it. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment