Friday, August 3, 2012

Jack Menhorn - Hack Slash Loot OST

Hack Slash Loot OST cover art http://jackmenhorn.bandcamp.com/album/hack-slash-loot-ost

Tonight I review my first OST or Original Soundtrack for you less savvy peeps out there. I'm really excited to review this, I don't really know how else to make up for almost a week of not being on this. Also, sorry about that. Between school things and friends it's been a pain to keep updated, but I'll try to do better. So what I'll try to do is review a couple albums tonight for you guys.

Onto the review, the first song "Hack Slash Loot (main theme)" starts off with that age-old chip-ish middle age music. It's pretty fun, actually. It's one of my favorite sounds to listen to. You have that drive up to the cymbal splash, you have the chippy piano, you have the violin, and that midi sort of quality. I love it, it's a wonderfully set up. It's repetitive enough to be loopy, which is exactly what an intro screen needs. It's also pretty enough to listen to for hours in case you zone out on the main screen. I love it, it's great. "The Descent" is lead into perfectly by the preceding song, it keeps that midi chippy violin sound with a sort of droning sound in the background. It makes for a wonderful starter level track, I can really dig it. Are the songs on here short? Hell yea they are, they're for an OST, you don't really need much more than a pretty and easily loopable track.

"They Approach" makes for a nice lead song for a looming boss fight or something similar. It's haunting, it's beautiful, it's eerie, and it's well written. It's a nice dark song that makes the listener realize that all hell is about to break loose and they better be prepared. Few things trap me better than a nice haunting refrain set to a game where-in you're getting your rear potentially handed to you. "Doom" does a great job of following this with an equally haunting an eerie song. It's almost fun to listen to it's so threatening. I'm pretty sure by this point Bowser's showing up, and that axe at the end of the bridge? Oh, he's using it. What I'm saying here, is that this is a perfect song for the boss that you shouldn't be able to beat. It's pretty looming.

Basically, this is a really nice and well made OST. I enjoyed listening to every second of it and I hope you do too! The OST is great, and I don't know why you guys wouldn't give it a chance, so do it! Night!


No comments:

Post a Comment